Finding the best coffee for espresso machines can feel like a treasure hunt. But it doesn’t have to be complex. We’ve sifted through the options to bring you the gems.
Whether you’re a fan of bold, rich flavors or prefer something smooth and subtle, there’s something for you. Espresso is all about the perfect blend and roast. The right choice can turn your morning routine into a moment of pure bliss. We understand the importance of that first sip. So, we focused on quality, aroma, and the magic they bring to your cup.
Enjoy our Best Coffee For Espresso selection.
Best Coffee for Espresso Machines: Our Top Picks
To make a perfect espresso, you need the right kind of coffee beans. With so many options available in the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best coffee for espresso machines, so you can enjoy a rich and flavorful espresso every time. Whether you’re a fan of dark roast or prefer a milder flavor, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and find the perfect coffee for your espresso machine!
1. Lavazza Espresso Whole Bean Coffee Blend, Medium Roast, 2.2 Pound Bag (1000g), Non GMO, 100% Arabica
If you’re on the hunt for a delicious espresso roast, Lavazza Espresso Whole Bean Coffee Blend could be just the ticket.
- Aromatic Blend: Boasts fruity and floral aromatic notes, creating a rich-bodied espresso.
- Versatile Usage: Suitable for various coffee makers, including espresso machines, moka pots, drip coffee makers, and French presses.
- Premium Quality: Made with 100% Arabica beans, non-GMO, offering a premium-quality coffee experience.
- Device Preference: While suitable for various coffee makers, it's best used in an espresso machine or moka pot, potentially limiting options for those without these devices.
- Mild Intensity: Some users may find the delicate intensity too mild, especially if they prefer a more robust espresso.
If you’re looking for a delicious espresso roast that’s suitable for a range of different coffee makers, Lavazza Espresso Whole Bean Coffee Blend is definitely worth considering. With its rich-bodied flavor and aromatic notes, it’s sure to impress even the most discerning coffee lovers.
2. Death Wish Coffee Co., Organic and Fair Trade Medium Roast Ground Coffee, 16 oz (454g)
If you’re looking for a coffee that’s both flavorful and strong, Death Wish Coffee Co.’s Medium Roast Ground Coffee is definitely worth a try.
- Smooth and Less Acidic: Offers a smooth and less acidic taste profile compared to dark roast coffee, suitable for those with sensitive stomachs.
- Bold Flavor: Boasts a bold and powerful flavor with notes of caramel, peanuts, apricot, and milk chocolate, providing a rich taste experience.
- Caffeine Kick: Ideal for those who need a light brew without sacrificing the caffeine kick, offering a balanced energy boost.
- Preference Concerns: May not be suitable for those who prefer a less bold coffee flavor, potentially overwhelming for some palates.
This coffee is made with arabica and robusta beans that are grown in higher altitudes, resulting in a flavorful and aromatic blend. The medium roast is lighter than Death Wish’s dark roast, but still packs a punch with its bold and powerful taste. The coffee is less acidic than other brands, making it a great option for those with sensitive stomachs.
The breakfast blend is perfect for those who need a light brew to start their day, but still want the caffeine kick of Death Wish’s signature coffee. The company also offers a risk-free promise, so you can try the coffee without worrying about wasting your money.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a strong and flavorful coffee that’s less acidic than dark roast, Death Wish Coffee Co.’s Medium Roast Ground Coffee is definitely worth a try.
3. Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend, Light-Medium Espresso Roast, 2.2 Pound (1000g)
If you’re looking for a premium quality coffee blend that’s perfect for your espresso machine, Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend is definitely worth considering.
60% Arabica, 40% Robusta
- Mild and Creamy Taste: Offers a mild and creamy taste profile.
- Aromatic Notes: Features aromatic notes of hazelnut and brown sugar, enhancing the flavor experience.
- Consistent Crema: Produces a consistent crema, even with poorly or inconsistently brewed coffee.
- Strength Preference: May not be suitable for those who prefer stronger coffee blends.
Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend is a medium-roast coffee blend that’s made with 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta beans. It’s perfect for those who prefer a mild and creamy taste with a hint of hazelnut and brown sugar. This coffee blend is best used in an espresso machine and produces a consistent crema even with poorly or inconsistently brewed.
If you’re looking for a high-quality coffee blend that’s perfect for your morning routine, Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend is definitely worth trying. However, some customers may find it not to be suitable for those who prefer stronger coffee.
4. Bristot Espresso Cremoso Italiano Ground Coffee, Italian Espresso, Medium Roast, 8.8oz/250g
If you’re looking for a rich and flavorful espresso, Bristot Espresso Cremoso Italiano Ground Coffee might be a good option for you.
- Well-Balanced Blend: A blend of 70% Arabica and 30% Robusta beans creates a well-balanced taste with hints of cocoa, cereals, and dark spices.
- Medium Roast: Perfect for those who prefer a less intense flavor, with a medium roast level.
- Home Espresso: Specifically designed for home espresso machines, allowing you to enjoy café-quality espresso at home.
- Packaging Issue: The packaging lacks resealability, requiring transfer to an airtight container to maintain freshness.
If you’re looking for a smooth and satisfying espresso with a medium roast level, Bristot Espresso Cremoso Italiano Ground Coffee might be worth a try. The blend of Arabica and Robusta beans creates a balanced flavor with hints of cocoa, cereals, and dark spices. Plus, it’s specifically designed for home espresso machines, so you can enjoy a café-quality espresso without leaving your house.
However, keep in mind that some customers have reported that the packaging is not resealable.
5. Kicking Horse Coffee, Three Sisters, Medium Roast, Whole Bean, 2.2 Pound (1000g)
If you’re looking for a smooth, flavorful coffee that’s also socially and environmentally responsible, Kicking Horse Coffee’s Three Sisters blend might be the one for you.
- Rich Flavor Profile: Offers a smooth, well-rounded flavor with notes of sweet tobacco, stone fruit, and cocoa.
- Ethical Sourcing: Made with organic, Fairtrade, Kosher, shade-grown Arabica coffee beans, ensuring ethical and sustainable sourcing practices.
- Quality Roasting: Roasted in the Rocky Mountains for a deep, dark, and delicious taste experience.
- Mild Flavor: May be too mild for those who prefer a stronger coffee flavor, potentially lacking in intensity.
If you’re looking for a coffee that’s both delicious and ethically sourced, Kicking Horse Coffee’s Three Sisters blend is a great option. With its smooth, well-rounded flavor and socially responsible production methods, this coffee is sure to please.
However, if you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, you may find this blend to be too mild for your tastes. Additionally, some reviewers found the coffee to be lacking in depth of flavor. Finally, it’s worth noting that this coffee is more expensive than some other brands, so it may not be the best choice for those on a tight budget.
6. Starbucks Dark Roast Whole Bean Coffee, Espresso, 100% Arabica, 1 bag (18 oz/283g)
If you’re looking for a classic and time-honored dark roast coffee that’s perfect for making classic espresso drinks, Starbucks Espresso Roast Whole Bean Coffee is a great option.
- Consistent Quality: Delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with 18 ounces of Espresso Roast dark roast whole bean coffee, adhering to the highest quality standards.
- Premium Arabica Beans: Contains carefully roasted 100% Arabica coffee beans, ensuring a premium coffee experience similar to what's brewed in their cafés.
- Versatile Brewing: Can be ground and used for various brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over, and moka pot, providing flexibility in preparation.
- Dark Roast Preference: May not be the best choice for those who prefer a lighter roast, as it offers a bold and intense flavor profile.
- Higher Price Point: Some people may find the price to be a bit high compared to other options of whole bean coffee, which could impact affordability for some consumers.
Starbucks Espresso Roast Whole Bean Coffee is a multi-region blend that still serves as the foundation of their handcrafted espresso drinks in Starbucks stores around the world. This coffee has a flavor profile that reveals notes of rich molasses and a bold, caramelly sweetness that’s never been changed since it was first created in 1975. It’s delicious on its own or balanced with milk, and can be enjoyed as an everyday cup no matter how you brew it.
One of the biggest pros of Starbucks Espresso Roast Whole Bean Coffee is its exceptional quality. Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards, so you can be sure that you’re getting the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans they brew in their cafés. Additionally, this coffee can be ground and used for a variety of brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over, and moka pot.
However, some people may not enjoy the darker roast of this coffee, and may prefer a lighter roast instead. Additionally, some people may find the price to be a bit high compared to other whole bean coffee options.
7. Lifeboost Coffee Organic Espresso Beans Whole, Low Acid Single Coffee, 12oz (340g)
If you’re looking for a low-acid, single-origin organic coffee that’s third-party tested for mycotoxins and pesticides, Lifeboost Coffee Organic Espresso Beans Whole might be worth considering.
- Smooth and Mild Flavor: Offers a smooth and mild flavor profile, appealing to those who prefer a gentle taste sensation.
- Low Acidity: Contains low acidity, making it suitable for individuals with sensitive stomachs or acid reflux issues.
- Third-Party Testing: Third-party tested for mycotoxins and pesticides, ensuring high quality and safety standards.
- Expensive: The product is relatively expensive compared to other options in the market, which may deter budget-conscious consumers.
- Mildness Concern: Some users may find it too mild for their taste preferences, especially if they prefer a stronger coffee flavor.
Lifeboost Coffee Organic Espresso Beans Whole has a smooth and mild flavor that’s easy on the stomach due to its low acidity. It’s also third-party tested for mycotoxins and pesticides, which may give you peace of mind. However, it is on the expensive side, and some find it too mild. Additionally, some reviewers have noted a bitter taste.
If you’re willing to pay a premium for organic, low-acid coffee that’s third-party tested for mycotoxins and pesticides, Lifeboost Coffee Organic Espresso Beans Whole might be worth trying. But if you’re looking for a more affordable option or prefer a stronger flavor, you may want to look elsewhere.
8. illy Ground Coffee Espresso, 100% Arabica Coffee Ground, Classico Medium Roast, 8.8 oz (250g)
If you’re looking for rich, aromatic coffee with a balanced flavor, Illy Ground Coffee Espresso could be a great choice for you.
Notes of Caramel, Orange Blossom & Jasmine
- Distinctive Flavor: Offers a unique taste with notes of caramel, orange blossom, and jasmine, providing a rich and aromatic experience.
- Italian Beverage at Home: Allows you to create a classic Italian beverage in the comfort of your own home, adding a touch of authenticity to your coffee experience.
- Premium Quality: Made with only the finest 1% of Arabica coffee beans, ensuring superior quality and sustainability in each cup.
- Intensity Concern: Some users find the coffee too strong for their taste preferences, potentially overpowering the desired flavor profile.
Illy has been perfecting their coffee blend since 1933, and their dedication to quality and sustainability is evident in their Ground Coffee Espresso. Made with only the finest Arabica coffee plants, Illy cultivates long-lasting relationships with growers around the world to ensure the best possible coffee.
One of the standout features of Illy Ground Coffee Espresso is its distinctive flavor. With notes of caramel, orange blossom, and jasmine, this coffee has a unique taste that sets it apart from other options on the market. Plus, it’s easy to prepare at home, so you can enjoy a classic Italian beverage anytime.
While Illy Ground Coffee Espresso is a bit pricier than some other options, many users find that the quality justifies the cost. However, some people do find the coffee to be too strong for their taste, so it may not be the best choice for everyone. Additionally, some users report that the coffee can arrive without a lid, which can make storage more difficult.
Overall, if you’re looking for high-quality, distinctive coffee for your espresso machine, Illy Ground Coffee Espresso could be a great choice.
9. Caffe Borbone 150 Single Served Espresso Coffee Pods
If you’re looking for a high-quality coffee that is both delicious and eco-friendly, Caffè Borbone 150 Single Served Espresso Coffee Pods might be a great choice for you.
- Eco-Friendly: Compostable coffee pods with recyclable paper wrapping, promoting sustainability and reducing environmental impact.
- Authentic Flavor: The Supreme blend offers the true flavor of Naples, catering to even the most discerning palates for a delightful coffee experience.
- Italian Quality: Roasted and freshly packaged in Italy, ensuring high-quality and authentic taste in every cup.
- Compatibility Concerns: Some espresso machines may not work well with these coffee pods, necessitating compatibility checks before purchase.
Caffè Borbone is a brand that has been innovating and experimenting with new technology to bring the unique and inimitable taste of Neapolitan coffee to the world. The company is committed to sustainability and is now using increasingly sustainable packaging for its coffee pods. The material recently introduced means that the packaging can be recycled into paper, while preserving the quality and taste of the authentic Italian espresso.
The Supreme blend is a medium roast coffee that offers the perfect balance between taste, refinement, creaminess, sweetness, and character. It captures the true flavour of Naples and satisfies even the most refined palates. The coffee pods are roasted and freshly packaged in Italy, ensuring a delicious and authentic taste.
While these coffee pods are a great eco-friendly option, they may not work well with some espresso machines. It’s important to check compatibility before purchasing. Additionally, some users have reported that the coffee pods are not as strong as they would like, and that the crema produced is not as thick or smooth as that produced by fresh ground espresso beans.
Overall, if you’re looking for an eco-friendly and delicious coffee option, Caffè Borbone 150 Single Served Espresso Coffee Pods might be a great choice for you.
10. Bestpresso Coffee for Nespresso Original Machine 120 Aluminum Pods, Caramel, Vanilla, Chocolate
Looking for a budget-friendly alternative to Nespresso capsules? Bestpresso Coffee for Nespresso Original Machine might be the right choice for you.
- Nespresso Compatibility: Designed for use with Nespresso Original coffee machines, ensuring convenience and ease of use.
- Sustainable Sourcing: Made with 100% natural, sustainable coffee beans, supporting small coffee producers and promoting ethical sourcing practices.
- Certifications: Over 50% of the coffee is Rainforest Alliance Certified, reflecting a commitment to environmental conservation and social responsibility.
- Limited Compatibility: Not compatible with VertuoLine Machines, limiting options for users with specific Nespresso machine models.
- Aluminum Capsules: Capsules are made of aluminum, which may not be recyclable in all areas, potentially contributing to environmental concerns.
If you’re looking for a convenient and affordable option for your Nespresso Original machine, Bestpresso Coffee capsules might be worth a try. These pods are made with high-quality, natural coffee and are compatible with most Nespresso Original machines. Plus, they support small coffee producers and are Rainforest Alliance Certified.
However, keep in mind that these capsules are not compatible with VertuoLine machines, so make sure you have the right type of machine before purchasing. Additionally, the aluminum capsules may not be recyclable in all areas, which could be a drawback for environmentally conscious consumers. Finally, some customers have noted that the flavors may not be as strong as Nespresso brand capsules, so if you prefer a stronger coffee, this may not be the best option for you.
Overall, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly alternative to Nespresso brand capsules, Bestpresso Coffee for Nespresso Original Machine is definitely worth considering.
Bonus For Keurig Users
11. Maud’s Dark Roast Coffee Pods, 100 ct, 100% Arabica Dark Roast Coffee, Compatible with Keurig K Cups Make
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly coffee pod option for your Keurig machine, Maud’s Dark Roast Coffee Pods may be a good choice.
- Rich Flavor Profile: Delivers a flavorful dark roast with distinct notes of toasted nuts, providing a satisfying coffee experience.
- Affordable Quality: Offers an affordable option for accessing high-quality coffee, ensuring premium taste without breaking the bank.
- Premium Arabica Beans: Crafted with 100% Arabica coffee beans, guaranteeing consistent quality and great taste with every brew.
- Limited Recycling: Pods are made from recyclable plastic materials, which may not be recyclable in all communities, posing environmental concerns.
- Roast Preference: Not suitable for those who prefer lighter or medium roasts, as it caters specifically to fans of dark roast coffee.
Maud’s Dark Roast Coffee Pods offer a full-bodied cup with a silky texture and a sweet aroma. The blend is our most popular, and it’s easy to see why. At a budget-friendly price, you can indulge in exceptional quality coffee without compromising on taste.
Crafted with excellence, Maud’s coffee pods ensure consistent, high-quality brews thanks to the exclusive use of high-quality 100% Arabica coffee. You’ll savor the great taste, enticing aroma, and an absence of bitterness in every cup.
Maud’s coffee pods are designed for use with nearly all compatible single-serve Keurig K Cup brewers. They are also made from recyclable #5 plastic materials and feature easy-peel tabs, making them a convenient and friendly choice. However, it’s worth noting that they may not be recyclable in all communities.
Overall, if you’re looking for a flavorful dark roast coffee pod option that won’t break the bank, Maud’s Dark Roast Coffee Pods are worth considering.
Buying Guide For Picking The Best Coffee For Espresso Machines
Here are some factors to keep in mind when choosing the best coffee for your espresso machine:
- Type of Coffee Beans
The type of coffee beans you choose will have a significant impact on the flavor of your espresso. It’s important to choose high-quality beans that are freshly roasted. Look for beans that are labeled as espresso or dark roast, as these are typically the best choices for espresso machines.
- Grind Size
The grind size of your coffee beans is also important. For espresso machines, you’ll want to use a fine grind that is similar in texture to sugar. This will allow for proper extraction and a rich, flavorful shot of espresso.
- Roast Level
The roast level of your coffee beans can also affect the flavor of your espresso. Dark roasts tend to have a bolder, more intense flavor, while medium roasts are milder and sweeter. It’s important to choose a roast level that you enjoy.
- Origin of the Beans
The origin of your coffee beans can also play a role in the flavor of your espresso. Different regions produce coffee beans with unique flavors and characteristics. Some popular regions for espresso beans include South America, Africa, and Asia.
Espresso machines can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. It’s important to choose a machine that fits within your budget, but also meets your needs in terms of features and functionality.
💡This might also interest you
FAQ – Best Coffee For Espresso Machine
What coffee is best for an espresso machine?
To get the best results from your espresso machine, it’s recommended to use freshly roasted coffee beans. Choose beans that are specifically labeled as espresso roast, as they are typically roasted to a darker level than other roasts, which results in a stronger and more full-bodied flavor.
What’s the best coffee to make espresso with?
The best coffee to make espresso with is the one that you enjoy the most. However, it’s important to use high-quality coffee beans that are freshly roasted and ground just before brewing. This will ensure that the coffee is fresh and flavorful, which is essential for a great espresso.
What is the best grind of coffee for an espresso machine?
The best grind of coffee for an espresso machine is a fine grind. This allows for the water to pass through the coffee grounds at the correct rate and pressure, resulting in a rich and flavorful shot of espresso. If the grind is too coarse, the water will pass through too quickly and the espresso will be weak. If the grind is too fine, the water will pass through too slowly and the espresso will be bitter.
What roast of coffee makes the best espresso?
The best roast of coffee for making espresso is a medium to dark roast. This is because the darker roasts typically have a more full-bodied flavor and are less acidic, which is ideal for espresso. However, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and the specific characteristics of the coffee beans being used.
If you liked our blog post on the topic “Best Coffee For Espresso Machine”, don’t forget to leave us a comment down and share your thoughts on this topic.